February 13, 2010

Bureau Top Memories...

One day when I am old and grey I want to have a bureau like every other old lady. I want to have the top filled with framed photographs on top of crocheted doilies that need to be dusted, but my eyes will be too feeble to see. I want to have trinkets of times gone by tucked away in paper boxes that smell of peppermint and age. I want to have memories of my husband and my life filled to the brink with love, strength, forgiveness, and laughter. What a thing to aspire for a collection of junk in anyone else's eyes.

If that monument to a life well lived will one day be a reality it is something that I must aspire for today. Today and tomorrow and line upon line, precept upon precept. Looking my children straight in the eye and giving them a smile from my heart. Sucking in a deep breath before I snap at something that hasn't gone my way. Letting those in my life know how much I love them everyday.

Right now it is easy, at this very moment my toes are toasty warm and the house is quiet and tranquil. Right now it is easy to smile and give and love. However, when it is easy it just doesn't count as much. It is when the dog has puked up the same sock for the 3rd time and the 4 year old who is being particularly whiny wants your attention. Meanwhile, the neighbor comes by and says do you want some pointers on making your lawn look better and the phone rings and your hubby says whats for dinner. It is those moments when it counts, when the smile and the love and the PATIENCE and the laughter count.

It doesn't make the impact when it is easy, when we are well fed and every bill is paid on time with money to spare and the children are growing up in wisdom, stature, and in favor of man. It counts when the bills are piling up and the creditors are calling and the kids feel a little unstable and depression is looming. That is when it counts.

This attitude will play into my bureau top in more ways than wonderful memories; hopefully it will carry over into my relationship with my adult children and elderly husband. I feel it is an important lesson to show our children (more is caught than taught). I have always felt really sorry for an elderly person when I see their adult children being trying with them or disrespectful and then I have to stop and wonder if the elderly person once upon a time taught disrespect and impatience to the adult child.

I know for me in my life, that sometimes it is just easy to not give enough, even when times are good and if we aren't giving all that we need to give when times are good then how can we ever manage when times are bad. I also know that I can't give at all without somebody filling my cup, and that is only given by God. So before I can wipe away a tear or smile at the trying neighbor or hold my nose and clean up after the dog, I have to ask for the strength and the love and the patience and the long suffering and the endless amount of strength from the only Person to obtain it from, only through the word of God and His strength. (Phl 4:6).

So today I'm going to try and give an extra hug, give the counters an extra swipe, give my husband a wider berth and practice long suffering and forgiveness....and aspire for a bureau top full of loving memories, one moment at a time.


Matthew 5:44-48 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Just the inspiration I needed on a weekend that the electricity went out, I have a cold and the laundry is piled up to the ceiling. Thank you!

Neisha said...

Thank you for that! It is definitely something I needed to hear with the chaos that is my life right now. Thank you for sharing such a priceless piece of wisdom! Bless you!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails