February 24, 2008

I'm Alive...

sort of, still feeling a little under the weather! A big thank you to Aimee, the most wonderful friend in the world, for filling in!

Pro 18:24
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.


So while I have been under the weather we have been eating pb&j light; so as I started to feel a little better I decided it might be nice if I actually served a dinner that actually involved dicing, sauteing, or a little effort. So I relied on an old standby, but I made a zestier version of the rice. It was delicious! It is actually my hubby's grandmothers recipe, it is a crowd pleaser for sure.

Spanish rice
1. Start with a small amount of oil in the skillet. Add 1 diced bell pepper and onion, saute. To this add 3 cups of rice - let it brown, but not burn in the skillet (If it looks to dry add a bit of butter to cook in)

2. In a stock pot add 6 cups of chicken broth (or water with boulion or Better than Boulion - my first choice if I don't have any leftover broth.) Add the rice mixture and stir, then add in one small can of tomato sauce! Let it simmer with the lid on until it is done - you will need to stir it occassionally so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom and watch the water level add some water if the rice isn't done but is starting to run out of liquid.

So there you have my favorite rice in the world. I grew up with beans and cornbread, but in this neck of the woods it is beans and rice - Ole!

1 comment:

Chad and Rebecca said...

Sounds great. I made my crock pot fajita brisket last night and had some friends over. You would really love this Southern Living recipe. I make a cheese and brisket quesidella (not sure of spelling) for ds since he would not really like a fajita.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails