November 14, 2007

Boiling Clothes?



Do you boil your clothes? Silly me, I know how ridiculous that sounds, you are probably thinking, "Are you crazy, I slap them into the front loader, sprinkle a little soap and walk away!" Well, normally I do too, but occasionally that doesn't work for me!

Around here socks can get REALLY dirty, sometimes dish towels smell sour even after washing and drying, and hubby's pillowcase can still look dingy after washing with bleach! For these hard to clean items, I boil them...really!

I put whatever I'm wanting to sanitize into a huge pot, saved only for this purpose - just wanted to clarify so that I didn't scare our recent dinner guests, and fill with water. When the water reaches a boil I add a cup of OxyClean and the items I'm washing and turn the heat down to medium. I put a top on it and let it return to a boil then I turn the heat down to low and let it go for an hour or two. After the boiling I then toss the clothing into my machine as usual! This typically cleans these items REALLY well and I'm quite pleased with the results. Yes, you will need to stir the clothes around and keep poking them back into the water, and yes the water will be BLECK! but your clothes will be CLEAN. The first time I did this I wanted to rush right out and build a fire, put a black cauldron on top and boil all of my clothes, but I didn't! Oh and just so you know, no, your house won't smell like Christmas doing this, but by golly, your clothes will be SOOO clean!

I have never had a problem with this but I always keep a close eye on whatever I'm boiling because I would hate to tell hubby, "Oh I forgot about the pillowcase I was boiling and burned down the house." That wouldn't be too great of me. Try it, but don't blame me if the house burns down, I told ya to keep an eye on it! =)!

14 comments:

Alana said...

Found you on WFMW.

Wow, never heard of boiling clothes, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a husband whose pillow case gets dingy. What is up with that?

Thanks for the tip!

Dimple Queen said...

My hubby's pillow case also gets dingy...I think his is because his face and head get so oily! But that might just be my hubby. Anyway....boiling clothes....that's interesting. I might have to try that! Were you trying to hint that it STINKS. LOL

Myfriendconnie@SmockityFrocks said...

Hmmmm... I'll try it. Do you do it barefooted and with a bonnet on? ;0)

Liz said...

To Alana and DQ: My hubby is quite oily too, like he will sooo never have wrinkles. So that is why I think his pillow case is so dingy.

To myfriendconnie: Ummm, never done it with a bonnet on or barefoot, but it does stir a rousing version of Home, Home on the Range!

Joy said...

This really works for items that have stayed wet too long and gotten that weird, moldy smell! I learned about it when I lived in the third world with a babe and no washing machine. I boiled cloth diapers in a large can, two boils and a rinse, and PRESTO! They were no longer discolored! Today I am boiling the whole pile of wash cloths cuz some of them smell sour even after I wash them. "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble..." I wondered whether adding detergent will help... Glad to know this "art" isn't quite dead yet!!
Think about it: Isn't it great that God gave poor people a way to get things clean too?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EmK said...

It may be too late to comment but I must ask:
I used a cooking pot to boil some dancewear without any clue what I was doing and never thinking that it might leech some colour. How does one disinfect a pot to be used for cooking again?

madseb said...

Hi:

I've been thinking about this method of doing my laundry lately, as our building is having problem with hot water lately. Also, I know my ancestors in Germany used to boil their bedsheets and other heavy-duty laundry. Also a great way to eliminate bugs, germs, probably better than many modern machines. Should I try it? Anyway, thanks for the ideas and tips.

Anonymous said...

if a dish towel smells bad, get it damp & throw it in the microwave for 15 seconds. sponges too.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, I too boil my cloth diapers once a month. They are cotton. I do this to remove soap and urine build-up... Works great!

Anonymous said...

I don't handwash wash cloth. I got a bunch and use 1 sheet to clean each time, then I collect all the dirty ones in 2 weeks and put them in the laundry. After about a few months, they are getting tacky, so now I am boiling them with dish detergent that do not work well in the dish washer. The water is turning brownish so far.

noblelord said...

In modern times, boiling your clothes really isn’t necessary any more. Especially, with such inventions as steam washing machines and dryers, that will usually get bad stains and odors out. If not you can always try stout out to get rid of tough stains. If you keep boiling your clothes, they will be sanitized and clean, they will even stretch more. They also might fall apart, depending on what they are made out of. That’s what people use to do during the great depression, they would boil their clothes in order to get them clean and sanitized

Anonymous said...

Hey, do you know the best way to boil a thanksgiving turkey? BOILING RULES!!!

Jane L. said...

Thanks for the tips. I remember seeing my grandmother used to boil clothes long time ago. I have some towels I need to clean and sanitize so I think boiling is probably the best way. Thank again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails