August 27, 2008

Preschool 2008....day three

Today was day 3 of our first week of preschool. Today's main activity for our 30 minute time was homemade play dough.



Homemade Play Dough Recipe


2 cups white flour
1/2 cup salt2 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup cream of tartar
A couple of drops of peppermint extract (nice smell!)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir over low/medium heat until play dough is completely formed and no longer sticky. Let cool then store in an airtight container. This is my favorite recipe for play dough it lasts for a very long time. I buy my cream of tartar in bulk so the 1/4 cup doesn't bother me, nor is it that expensive, but if you are using the small jar from the grocery store it drives the cost of this recipe up quite a bit! You can also tint your dough any color you would like with a few drops of food coloring, but in my experience this stains hands and not really worth it in my book.


We used our play dough to learn how to roll snakes and balls. We built a few snowmen and some napping snakes that were wrapped up into a coil. It was fun!




Then we wrapped up our day with a few of our regular activities and clean up! All of this in 30 minutes!

It really is nice to have one on one time with my preschooler. It seems that in day to day life she has had to make a lot of compromises being shuttled here and there to wait for this child or that to finish this activity or that. I like doing something just for her, because sometimes it is just too easy not do it!

2 comments:

Chad and Rebecca said...

She is sooo adorable! Where does she get her curly hair from? When ds and I play with our "store bought" play-doh (although I do not think I have ever really bought play-doh, he seems to get that in his goody bag at every birthday party we go to) we also use cookie cutters and we make shapes and letters. He loves this!

onemotherslove said...

Thanks for visiting my blog & the baby congratulations! I like this play dough recipe! We use the same fingerpaint recipe, too. We're starting preschool next month (after a move).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails