October 19, 2010

Fall Project

On October 1, the kids and I, along with some sweet family, ventured to the pumpkin patch! It was a great day and loads of fun.



See all those pumpkins, with the exception of 2 they all came home with me! I knew they wouldn't make it till Halloween so I set about trying to find out what to do with them. I stumbled upon this, on my favorite food blog! Pumpkin Puree, and I knew it would be the project for me since I love to bake with pumpkin!

First you take this:



and cut it in half. Then you gather a bunch of those kids and make them scoop the insides out, be careful sometimes those kids get a little rowdy with the goo!




(This is a messy project...doing this before they are dressed for the day just depends on how lazy brave you are!)

After all the goo is cleaned out take the sliced halves and put them in a 9X13 cut side down with about an inch of water in the pan. Place them in a 400 degree oven. I let mine cook for awhile till it smelled done and they were fork tender.





After it comes out of the oven wait until it cools then pop the pumpkins over and scoop out the pulp. Then give it a whirl in the food processor and it will look like baby food. At this point you have pumpkin puree but it has too much water in it - so it is time to get rid of the excess water.

You need one of these:


This is one of the most versatile kitchen utensils, if you don't have one - you need one!!!

Line the sieve with a coffee filter:



Then put the puree in the filter and let it go till it quits dripping. The finished puree has the same consistency as the store bought, but it is homemade!!!

Now what to do with all the goo? Rinse the goo in the colander until all that is left is the seeds. Spread the seeds out onto a cookie sheet and put a little oil on the seeds and salt.



Then roast for about 25 minutes at 325 degrees! A very yummy snack!


The finished products...the pumpkin seeds went fast!!!

The roasted pumpkin seed recipe is here and to see a little clearer instructions on the pumpkin puree check out Annie's Eats - it is one of my most favorite food blog!

Hope you enjoy making pumpkin puree...my kids are excited to see their hard work show up again in pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread!

Happy Fall!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Very cool. We made ours into jack-o-lanterns. They quickly turned into sad little guys that looked like they had just taken their dentures out. I like your strategy much better :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails